Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Early Childhood News-Equipping the Computer Learning Center

I read an article on equipping the computer learning center. When I was reading this I was making a mental note of how the classroom I work in at Head Start is set up. The article recommended a mouse being a must. It helps master the fine motor skills. A touch screen sounded like a great addition, but unfortunately out of our budget. I like having the area set up with two chairs for children to work together. The article also recommended a locked side-mounted CPU stand. In the past we had never had one of these. The computer was always being broken and turned off wrong from little fingers touching things they aren't supposed to be touching. When we finally got our side-mounted CPU stand, I was very excited. Having a printer is a wonderful addition to the computer area, but costly. We had to limit it to printing only one day a week to keep in the budget.

2 comments:

kbricko said...

Sharon,
I love touch screens!
We had two of them when I worked with my CDS/MS students.
Then almost 10 years later I wrote a grant for the Assisted Living Home my Grandmother was in and we got 4 of them.
It was awesome!
These young (old) people could function again.
Playing solitaire was the biggest hit!
When I finally finished my Associates, I bought myself my wonderful desk! (Why didn’t I do it before that?)
But, it came with an enclosed CPU. I never realized how much it made a difference! I did not have half of the problems with the children.
Kim :)

teacher4class said...

I would love to have a touch screen. Remember Kerri's touchscreen computer for our lit class? What a great tool. Recently, my mother-in-law got a camera with a touchscreen menu, I thought it was awesome, she was scared to touch it. She made me set it all up, so all she has to do is aim and shoot. She just got a brand new computer also, which she just doesn't want to touch. Don't worry, I'll get her to do something with it!

Deb Roche