Sunday, November 18, 2007

Child Development

I read a great article called "Child Development-What Research Says About Technology and Child Development. I got it off of the site http://www.nwrel.org/request/june01/child.html
It talked about computers and technology and how technology can't and shouldn't replace human interaction or relationships, but if properly used can increase language and literacy development. It talked about strategically seating two chairs at the computer table so that children can work together. We do this at Head Start and it does help promote language between children. Children converse with each other about when it is their turn, or how to print a picture, or they feel good about themselves, and builds their leadership roles, when they help the other child with the computer. The article said that computer use at a young age should be brief and limited. I agree that this is important today as childhood obesity is such a problem with our young children.
If used appropriately, computers can be a positive part of a child's learning and education.

No comments: